To view details about the events listed below, click on the event title and you will be redirected to the Rides and Events calendar
NOTE: RIDES AND EVENTS LISTED BELOW COULD BE CANCELLED OR CHANGED AND THOSE CHANGES WILL NOT BE REFLECTED BELOW. REFER TO THE BCC FACEBOOK PAGE OR USE THIS LINK FOR THE LATEST UPDATES - ONCE IN FORUMS CLICK ON "RIDE CHANGES" Forums
The Bluegrass Cycling Club Store Now Open!!!
Hosted by Starlight Apparel
The Bluegrass Cycling Club is pleased to offer a wide range of BCC logo cycling apparel through Starlight Apparel. The store will be open for the final time for the current design from May 15- May 30 so if there is something you want or need, now is the time to purchase it because you may not have another opportunity!!
HOW IT WORKS
On-Line, Direct Ordering
(alternatively, you can use this link: http://www.starlightapparel.com/ click on “shop pre-sales” then click “Bluegrass Cycling Club”)
- View the available merchandise, select what you want, choose your size, and add the item to your cart. (NOTE: The “Shop for more items” button will take you back to the Starlight home page – simply click on “Shop pre-sales” then “Bluegrass Cycling Club” to get back to our store – your previously selected items will still be in your cart.)
- MEMBER DISCOUNT CODE – All BCC members in good standing may purchase any short sleeved basic jersey, sleeveless jersey, F1 (Pro) jersey, shorts, or bibs at a 20% discount off the advertised retail price!!! The discount code can be obtained by logging on to the BCC website – You MUST be logged on to see the discount code – it is only available on the “members only” portion of the site. ENTER THE DISCOUNT CODE AFTER YOU HAVE ALL ITEMS IN YOUR CART AND BEFORE YOU GO TO THE PAYMENT SCREEN!!!! If you have issues or problems logging on please contact Pam Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- After you have selected all of the items you want to purchase, and have entered your discount code,click “proceed to checkout” and complete the form there.
- Decide whether you want to have your items shipped directly to you (you pay shipping) or whether you want your items shipped to the BCC, with you making arrangements for pick up either from Pam Thomas, or at Crankworks Bike shop (shipping is free). NOTE: You will be required to enter your shipping address regardless of the shipping option you choose – If you want your items delivered to your home, please make sure you pay for shipping, otherwise your items will be bulk shipped and you will have to make arrangements to pick your items up. The code to obtain free bulk shipping is "BCCFREE"
- Pay Starlight Apparel for your purchases … and that’s it!!!
If you are uncomfortable ordering or paying on line
- If you want to order BCC merchandise but are uncomfortable ordering or paying on line, please contact Pam Thomas at email@example.com. Pam will make arrangements with you to get your payment and submit your order.
How do I know what size to order? – Advice about sizes
- Size Charts - Please check the Starlight size charts by clicking the “more info” button then clicking on the “FAQ’s” tab associated with the item you are interested in purchasing before you order. If you still have questions, please contact Starlight Apparel.
- If you have a 2013 Kentucky Century Challenge jersey or a 2013 Bluegrass Bike Partners jersey and you like the fit, order the same size – they are both from Starlight Apparel as well.
- NOTE: Starlight items run a bit smaller than many others, so you will likely need one size bigger than you are used to wearing.
- Bibs and Shorts - Starlight bibs and shorts are constructed from compression materials so in the appropriate size, they will feel and fit tighter than bibs and shorts constructed with lycra … If you have never had bibs or shorts made from compression fabric, this may feel odd to you at first.
Exchanges – If you order the wrong size, we will be able to make exchanges. Starlight Apparel will have some ability to make exchanges immediately out of existing stock. If they do not have your size in stock, an order will be placed along with the next store order, so worst case, you may have to wait a bit for the exchange item to arrive.
Bluegrass Cycling Club/West 6th
Pedaling for a Purpose Initiative
Weekend Ride and Education Sessions – Plan to Join Us!!!
These sessions offer something for everyone! Come learn, ride your bike, and help support our fabulous bike-related charities!
See the BCC rides calendar for additional details.
The Bike Part:
Beginning April 4, 2015 the Bluegrass Cycling Club will host a ride and education session every other Saturday morning at West 6th Brewery EXCEPT the sessions on the 3rd and 4th weekend in May will be held on SUNDAY, MAY 17 and SUNDAY MAY 31 beginning at 1:00 pm with rides following at 2:00 pm. Education sessions will begin at 9 am and will feature a different topic each week. Saturday rides will begin at 10 am. Several distances and paces will be offered with ride leaders, including options on the Legacy Trail for cyclists who do not want to ride on the roads. (Novice on the legacy trail, C on the legacy trail and on the road, B/C on the road, B on the road, A/B on the road, and A on the road).
Cyclists who do not want to participate in a BCC group ride will also be able to show up, sign in, and do an urban ride or ride in a smaller group – the point is to get people out and on bikes and however they want to do that is good (except we must insist t that anyone riding as part of one of our club rides wear a helmet).
The Charity Part:
We have identified Folk Bike ReCyclery in Frankfort, Broke Spoke in Lexington, and Bikes for the Bluegrass as our beneficiary charities for the initiative. We will ask all riders participating in each ride to sign in and record their miles at each ride as they finish (this is standard practice for BCC rides anyway). We will keep track of total miles ridden over the course of four (4) rides and at the end of that period, will determine, based on the number of miles ridden by all participants, how much will be donated to the featured charity for that segment.
Ride Dates, Identified Charity and mileage/contribution levels:
We will have posters on the wall at West 6th where we will track total miles ridden/dollars raised during each period. Charities will be invited to participate and be creative in how they do that during the period they are the beneficiary, or during the whole thing –whatever works for them.
Contributions to the charity will be made at $0.10 per mile ridden, with a maximum contribution of $1,000 for each charity.
Folk Bike ReCyclery - April 4 and 18, May 2 and SUNDAY May 17
Bikes for the Bluegrass – SUNDAY May 31, June 13, and 27, July 11
Broke Spoke – July 25, August 8 and 22, September 5
Celebration/Party – Early October – We will present our charities with their checks, and will distribute tee shirts and jerseys
Rider Rewards Part:
Riders will receive rewards at the end of the program based on participation points. One point will be awarded for each education session attended and one point for each ride attended for a total possible point total of 24 points.
Riders who have 18 or more points will receive a free jersey
Riders who have 13 or more points will receive a free tee shirt
Tips About Riding With The Bluegrass Cycling Club
We are happy that so many new members have joined our club this year!! We encourage everyone to take a few minutes to review our ride guidelines, which can be accessed by clicking on the button below. It is very important for all riders to take the time to review ride descriptions, and to honestly assess whether you have the experience and fitness to successfully participate in the ride as described. Our goal is for everyone to be safe and have fun on our rides, and this works best when everyone attends rides that are suitable for them.
If you are unsure whether a ride is appropriate for you PLEASE give the ride leader a call before the ride and he or she will be happy to advise you. It is ALWAYS better to ask in advance!
If you are brand new to cycling, please take a bit of time to learn how your bike works - how your gears shift, how your brakes work, and how to stop and start before joining a group ride. We can help you develop group riding skills, and become a better and stronger rider, but you need to have a basic understanding of how your bike works first. If you need assistance in learning the basics about your bike, contact our Education Committee chairperson Bill Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will help connect you with a club member who can help you!
Welcome to the Bluegrass Cycling Club
web site! This is the online home of the Horsey Hundred, and a source
for the latest information on the BCC and its activities as well as a
source for cycling in Kentucky in general. Want to go for a bike ride in
Kentucky, especially central Kentucky? You've come to the right place!
The BCC is a volunteer, not-for-profit organization that promotes all
forms of bicycling. Established in 1970 as the Bluegrass Wheelmen
, the BCC is based in Lexington, Kentucky, USA and serves the Bluegrass
region of central Kentucky and surrounding areas.
The objectives of the Bluegrass Cycling Club
- To encourage bicycling for health, recreation and transportation.
- To promote bicycle safety.
- To improve bicycling facilities;
- and to further all phases of bicycling.