Bluegrass Cycling Club Board Meeting Minutes
July 14, 2010
Members Present: Terio Sutherland, Pam Thomas, Griff Baute, Nedim Slijepcevic, Jamie Bagley, Mike Bagley, Peggy Littrell, Jeff Pearson, Patrick Wesolosky, Malcolm Barrett, Sandy Duff
Members Absent: Dwayne Edwards
Guests Present: Shawn Hokanson, Mindy Taylor, Robin Reams
Member Presentation About Maps, Routes and Additional Rides - Club members Robin Reams and Mindy Taylor were present at the meeting to present some ideas about increasing the number of rides, ride leaders, etc. Robin referenced a website used by the Louisville club (kybikerides.org) where rides are posted by number and name – clicking on a link raises the cue sheet and a map. Mike reported that he talked to the gentleman who maintains the website for Louisville, and they have offered to let us enter rides on the website as well. Mike also noted that he has looked at a lot of software and the issue is that once the ride gets over about 15 miles, the road names cannot be read. Mike said that he intends to add some of the Lexington rides to the website when he has time. Robin’s big concern is having more rides available on weekends and the variety of routes available for the various scheduled rides. Nedim said he could replace the current map library with a map system like the maps used by Louisville. Mike suggested that we just use the existing website with a link on our site to add Lexington area rides since they have offered, and since the bank of rides in Louisville are already there. Mike suggested that he present the ideas offered by Mindy and Robin to the rides committee at the meeting this 24th of this month to get feedback from the committee.
Robin suggested that next year the club should do a better job to make sure that the variety an diversity of rides are improved and that this be managed on the front end by someone monitoring the ride and recruiting people to lead rides if the numbers are not sufficient.
Approval of Minutes – Griff made a motion to approve the minutes. The motion was seconded by Malcolm and the minutes were unanimously approved.
Officer Reports -
Peggy – STR Campaign - Peggy reported that Lexington has started the share the road campaign – There are billboards, and ads on busses and brochures have been printed for distribution. Other promotional materials will be made available soon.
Terio – Treasurer – Terio reported that we have close to $49,000 in the bank with all Horsey Hundred expenses paid. Terio also reported that ½ of the Jerseys from the Horsey Hundred have been paid for and the socks have also been paid for. Terio noted that the BCC stills need to make the donation to the MS society. Terio is awaiting submission of the post event request to send the donation. Terio reported that the preliminary net profits from the Horsey Hundred were $52,640 – The numbers do not include some funds currently with Pay Pal ($7,000) and some expenses (SAG expenses and the outstanding jersey balance).
Rides Committee Report - Mike reported that there were 90-100 riders on the fourth of July ride, which was a joint Louisville/Lexington club ride. Each club had about 50 riders and the BCC got several new members as a result of the ride. Several members also did their first century during that ride.
Peggy reported that the Ride for the Red in Frankfort on July 31 will be a club ride for miles only if a ride leader is identified. Otherwise, the ride will be posted on the forum only.
Mindy mentioned that the club may want to consider whether rides should originate at Russell Cave during and immediately before the World Equestrian Games. The board agreed that it would probably be a good idea to move the rides during that period.
Waivers – Mindy reported that she called the insurance company to determine what the liability of the club is if riders on a ride do not sign the waiver. Mindy learned that having the waivers signed is very important because without the waiver potential liability exists. The insurance company suggested that all members could sign a waiver covering the entire year at the beginning of each year to cover all rides. Mike will discuss the importance of waivers with the ride leaders at the meeting on the 24th and will also post information on the website.
Philanthropy/Education/Advocacy – Malcolm – Peggy reported that there was a request from Dave Elbon – He is on the Town Branch Trail Board and asked for us to be present there on August 15th for “Trailapalooza”. Malcolm will follow up with Dave.
Membership/Recruitment/Social – Jamie
Membership - Jamie reported that we have 541 members. We finished the year last year with 526 members. Last year as of July 12 we had 463 members, so we are ahead of last year’s pace. There was a question about why the membership year ends August 30th. Several Board members suggested that the membership year should be changes to match the ride season. Jamie reported that there will be a membership committee meeting and the committee will discuss the “membership year” as well as other membership incentives.
Social – On July 25th Tim Terry will host a breakfast on the final day of the Tour. There will be a Brunch ride from Jane Shropshire’s farm on August 28th. The social committee is also working on coming up with a date to have a ride and event at Equus Run. Peggy has reserved Adena Park for a Labor Day event.
Socks – Peggy noted that socks were sold on the 4th of July at $10 per pair to members and $15 to non-members. The $10 per pair is $1 over cost.
Financial Oversight Committee - The quarterly review will be completed in July. The committee will coordinate with Terio to make sure the review is completed. The quarterly report will be presented in August.
Horsey Hundred – Dwayne was absent from the meeting but asked Peggy to ask the Board to consider how/if the members want to be involved next year.
Red River Rally –Patrick – Dates for the Red River Rally are October 2nd and 3rd. Patrick reported that he is ahead of schedule in comparison to last year. He has been in contact with the tee shirt vendor and is contemplating the number of shirts to order based on cost. He has two food quotes in which are a bit higher than last year. Patrick noted that $2,000 -$3,000 was spent on the food and that a pretty good spread is provided. Patrick asked whether it might make sense to increase the price by $5 to help cover the costs. Patrick noted that the event really needs more volunteers. Pam will assist Patrick with coordinating volunteers.
New Business –
Ironman Triathalon – The club will participate again by providing volunteers – Contact is Robert Underwood.
Research Request – Peggy asked if anyone had reviewed the request from a member seeking participants for a brain research study. It was decided that it is okay for him to include his request on the forum.
Next Meeting – August 11, 2010 – 7:30 pm - Pam’s house following a 6 pm ride
|< Prev||Next >|